- Scottish Spend (Nearly) Tops The Charts At Christmas
- The 2021 Dirty Delivery Report: Predicting The Carbon Cost Of Online Shopping
- The APC records 53% growth in a year that ‘changed the shape of distribution’
- Retailers’ final online order dates for Christmas are too optimistic, warns ParcelHero
- 9 out of 10 people are open to new job offers, and 2 out of 3 say health perks will convince them to stay or go
Hermes UK, the consumer delivery specialists, has opened a pop-up distribution depot at Meteor Park, Aston. Over 135 seasonal temporary jobs have been created at the 112,000sqft warehouse, which has been opened ahead of the busy Black Friday and Christmas peak periods.
The new facility will be able to handle over 120K parcels each day with the ability to operate 24/7 as needed. It forms part of the ongoing investment programme by Hermes UK to expand its capacity to meet the huge demand created by people shopping at home during lockdown and the continuing growth in the sector.
Online retail is the main driver of growth in parcel delivery volumes combined with the increasing consumer preference for shopping online through various e-commerce portals. The company estimates that it will see record parcel volumes later this year.
Michael Duffy, Depot Manager, said: “It has been an unprecedented year for the parcel delivery industry and with the festive season fast approaching it’s fantastic to be opening a new depot for Hermes where business continues to grow. This pop-up depot will allow us to provide much needed job opportunities within Birmingham during these uncertain times.
“Our new team has worked extremely hard to get the site ready for what will be one of the busiest periods of the year and ensure that our customers continue to receive a fantastic service.”