The rapid growth of e-commerce will drive volume over the 2017 Christmas season. FedEx expects to see between 380-400million packages to be pass through its global network between Black Friday (24 November) to Christmas Eve, while it predicts three Mondays over the Christmas period to more than double its average daily volume (13 million shipments are normally sent per day, outside of the Christmas season).
As consumer habits change, and e-commerce and last-minute purchases grow – FedEx is busy preparing for the Christmas season…
- Over 300 aircraft movements per week pass through the main FedEx hub for Europe, Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) hub, into and outside Europe and the world over 6 days a week – on average more than one take off or landing every half-hour
- At CDG, approximately 1,200 tons of freight are handled per day – the equivalent of 240 5-ton elephants
- At the Central and Eastern Europe hub in Cologne, 58 weekly flights to/from Europe, the US, and Asia pass through the CGN hub
- Globally, more than 400,000 FedEx team members are busy preparing for the peak season
- The FedEx global network, consists of more than 650 planes (making FedEx the second largest airline in the world in terms of number of aircraft), and more than 150,000 motorised vehicles.